SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – Turner Auctions + Appraisals will present Native American jewelry and collectibles on Sunday, Sept. 9, offering over 200 lots from one major collector. Absentee and Internet live bidding is available through LiveAuctioneers.
This diverse sale features a wide selection of Native American and Southwest jewelry, including bracelets, squash blossom and heishi necklaces, women’s and men’s rings, numerous watch cuffs and watch bands, concho and other belts, pins, pendants, hat bands, belt buckles, bolos, ketohs and money clips. Most are Native American, including Navajo and Zuni, with sterling or coin silver; most have turquoise, coral or other embellishments. All are old pawn or vintage.
Collectibles are from various tribes, among them Laguna, Pueblo, Hopi, Apache, Papago and Navajo, include pottery jars and vessels, rugs, dolls, Katsina-related carvings, headdresses, miniature baskets, cornhusk bags and other Native American items. The sale also includes a selection of moccasins. Artwork includes Navajo sand paintings, wall hangings and prints; sculpture, including Sacagawea II by Harry Jackson; and a Kwakiutl mask. A 10-piece table setting of El Rancho pattern china by Wallace China rounds out the sale.
Highlights of the sale include the following:
– Lot 1: Navajo silver, turquoise and coral bracelet (above) with maker’s mark, 2 inches wide, approximately 6 1/2 inches (est. $300-$500).
– Lot 155: Kwakiutl mask (below), ‘Horned Owl’ by John Livingston, 1993, 12 inches (est. $500-$700).
– Lot 49: Navajo turquoise necklace, approximately 11 inches, with sterling and maker’s mark “PKB” (est. $250-$350).
– Lot 102: Navajo old pawn 18-concho silver and coral belt stamped with a maker’s mark (est. $400-$600).
– Lot 169: Plateau cornhusk bag with dyed wool and husk decorations, 20 by 15 inches (est. $500-$700).
– Lot 156: Sacagawea II bronze sculpture by Harry Jackson (1924-2011), 1980, 18 inches (est. $5,000-$7,000).
– Lot 166: Two pairs of Sioux beaded moccasins, one pair antique, the other mid-20th century (est. $400-$600).
– Lot 82: Three vintage Southwest silver belt buckles, two or which are marked sterling (est. $200-$300).
– Lot 122: vintage Zuni bolo tie, buckle and matching brooch, all with maker’s mark (est. $200-$300).
– Lot 38: four Zuni silver and hard stone rings, old pawn Southwest jewelry, all with sterling and maker’s marks, sizes 7½ to 8 (est. $200-$300).
– Lot 192: El Rancho pattern china by Wallace China, Los Angeles, 10 pieces (est. $800-$1,200).
Turner Auctions + Appraisals begins its online auction on Sunday, Sept. 9, at 10:30 a.m. Pacific Time/1:30 p.m. Eastern.
For more information about the auction, contact: Stephen Turner, president of Turner Auctions + Appraisals, at email@example.com or 415-964-5250.