SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO – Turner Auctions + Appraisals will disperse the Paul Guaraglia Collection of model trains on Saturday, March 6, at 10:30 a.m. PST. Featuring over 220 lots, the sale presents a variety of train offerings. Bid absentee or live online through LiveAuctioneers.
The collection includes locomotives, train cars, sets, accessories, buildings and other structures, track sections, switches, transformers and parts to enhance train layouts. Among the manufacturers are Lionel, Marx, Ives, MTH, Fleischmann, Mantua, Roundhouse, Bachmann, American Flyer, Weaver, Rail King and others, in Standard, O, S, HO, N and Z gauges. Dinky and Matchbox Toys, several windup sets, and other train-related items round out the sale.
A San Francisco Bay Area resident, Paul Guaraglia is a longtime model train enthusiast who has collected for well over 50 years. Housed in a separate room in his home, Guaraglia’s vast collection is showcased in his inviting layout. In it, he replicates a rambling urban environment, featuring landmark buildings from various cities and eras, with trains and tracks threaded throughout. Guaraglia is president of the Golden Gate American Flyer Club, founded in 1970.
Here are some highlights of the upcoming sale:
– Lot 1: Lionel 752E Union Pacific M10000 consisting of the locomotive, coach, observation, two vestibules (above). Estimate $200 – $500.
– Lot 2: Lionel 292 set (below) with 248 red locomotive, 630 red Pullman, 629 red observation car, set box, ragged car and locomotive boxes. The locomotive has its pantograph, headlight, whistle, springs, ladders and handrails. It is a clean set showing light wear. Estimate $150-$300.
– Lot 14: Lionel 253 locomotive in peacock blue with orange window. The locomotive has a manual reverse. The handrails, whistle, pantograph, headlights, journals and air tanks are all present. Estimate $50-$150.
– Lot 11: Marx Mickey Mouse windup locomotive and tender, boxcar, gondola and caboose – all with graphics. The set has tinplate wheels. Estimate $150-$300.
– Lot 18: Lionel train cars Lionel 2530 Baggage, 2533 Silver Cloud Pullman, 2534 Silver Bluff Pullman, 2532 Silver Range, 2532 Silver Range, 2532 Silver Range, 2531 Silver Dawn Observation and a 2530 Aluminum Streamline Baggage Car. Estimate $200-$400.
– Lot 24: Lionel 2338 black and orange Milwaukee Road GP7. Its handrails and horn are intact. $100-$300.
– Lot 30: Ives train cars 3238 locomotive, 550 baggage car, 60 baggage car, 61 chair car, 62 parlor car, 68 observation car 3238 New York Central Lines locomotive. The cars are painted gray with red trim and a black frame. Estimate $100-$300.
– Lot 40: MTH 10-4053 Tinplate Traditions standard gauge switch tower in its original packaging. It is a reproduction of a Lionel prewar standard gauge switch tower. Estimate $100-$200.
– Lot 43: Lionel 2321 Lackawanna FM with its handrails, trucks and couplers intact. Estimate $100-$300.
– Lot 64: Lionel train cars 2354P New York Central F3 A unit – powered, 2354C New York Central F3 B unit – dummy, 2354T New York Central F3 A unit – dummy, Lionel 2354P New York Central F3 A unit – powered. The horns, vents, ladders, portholes, pickups, couplers and nose decal are intact. Estimate $100-$300.
– Lot 77: Lionel train cars 6-19019 SP Heavyweight Baggage Car, 6-19023 SP Arcata Bay Heavyweight Car, 6-19024 SP Half Moon Bay Heavyweight Car, 6-19025 SP Drakes Bay Heavyweight Car, 6-19026 SP Sunset Bat Heavyweight Observation Car, 6-19019 Southern Pacific Daylight Madison Type Heavyweight Baggage Car. Estimate $200-$300.
– Lot 197: Lionel 6-38585 O Gauge Norfolk Southern SD80 MAC. Estimate $150-$300.
– Lot 92: Lionel 6-11710 Canadian Pacific Rail Limited set in its original box from 1989 consisting of a 6-18203 SD-40 locomotive, 6-17200 boxcar, 6-17300 boxcar, 6-17107 hopper, 6-17500 flat car with logs, 6-17400 gondola, 6-19705 caboose. Estimate $200-$300.
– Lot 164: HO Scale Southern Pacific Mantua 99 0-4-0 locomotive with slope-back tender and a Union Pacific Mantua 99 0-4-0 locomotive with slope back tender. Estimate $50-$100.
– Lot 187: O Gauge Lionel Pennsylvania Railroad 6-51702 puffing smoke unit in the box. The caboose looks like it has not been out of the box. Estimate $50-$100.
For more information, contact Stephen Turner, president of Turner Auctions + Appraisals, at 415-964-5250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
View top auction results on LiveAuctioneers here: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/pages/recent-auction-sales/