SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – Turner Auctions + Appraisals will present Steam Engines & Comic Books from the collections of Craig Miller and Robert Haas on Sunday, Nov. 17, at 10:30 a.m. Pacific time/1:30 p.m. Eastern. Reflecting the pleasures of childhood, the sale features over 215 lots of vintage steam engines, toys, O gauge toy trains and a wide selection of comic books from Dell, Walt Disney, Looney Tunes, Classic Comics, Classics Illustrated and others. Bid absentee or live online through LiveAuctioneers.
Besides vintage steam and hot air engines and turbines, the Miller collection includes steam toys such as a shovel, shop, tractor, grinder and steamroller. Other toys offered are fans and tools, a two-man saw, sausage maker, farm toys, factory machines, windmills, a Ferris wheel, and some from Germany and Japan. Groupings of little toy cars come from Matchbox, Corgi and Dinky Toys are also included. Among several lots of O gauge toy trains are KBN, Issmayer, Hornby and Ives.
The Haas collection features a wide selection of comic books, including many of Tarzan and many with beloved Walt Disney characters such as Donald Duck, Bambi, Cinderella, Mickey Mouse, Pinocchio and Snow White. Other comics feature Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, Bugs Bunny, Lassie, Flash Gordon, Moby Dick, Treasure Island and many others. Toys from several other collectors round out the sale.
Here are some highlights of the upcoming sale:
– Lot 160: Tarzan, Dell, 1-2/48 #1, Tarzan and the White Savages of Vari, CGC Universal Grade 6.0, condition: fine (est. $600-$800).
– Lot 1: Vintage model steam engine, 12 inches high by 19 inches by 8½ inches (est. $300-$500).
– Lot 163: Vacation Parade, Dell Giant #1, 7/1950, art by Carl Barks, condition: very good (est. $200-$300).
– Lot 2: Vintage model hot air engine by Rider, Ericsson Engine Co., Keely Engine Works, Perrysburg, Ohio, 17½ inches high by 14 inches by 10 inches (est. $200-300).
– Lot 95: Schuco articulated gentleman monkey, 1929, tin construction with original clothing (damage to top hat), good condition, 6 inches high (est. $300-$400).
– Lot 102: Donald Duck Dell Four-Color #238, Voodoo Hoodoo, art by Carl Barks, condition: very fine (est. $100-$200).
– Lot 67: British Mamod model steam roller, 7 inches high by 9 inches by 5½ inches (est. $80-$120).
– Lot 78: Six unusual Corgi model toys, including Batmobiles, Bat boat, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (est. $40-60).
– Lot 92: Ives O gauge caboose grouping, three #67 lithographed cabooses, variations with and without doors; all in maroon/black/white graphics (Ives railway lines); three roof color variations (some body distortions/two roofs repainted), C-4/5 (est. $80-$125).
– Lot 132: Roy Rogers, Dell #42, condition: very fine (est. $50-$90).
– Lot 30: Vintage German Wilesco toy tractor, marked made in W. Germany, 7½ inches high by 12 inches by 6 inches (est. $80-120).
– Lot 118: Four The Lone Ranger comics: The Lone Ranger Dell #10 in fine condition; The Lone Ranger Dell #18, very fine-; The Lone Ranger Dell #21, very fine-; The Lone Ranger Dell #22, very fine- (est. $150-250).
For more information, contact Stephen Turner, president of Turner Auctions + Appraisals, at 415-964-5250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.