The Mining Journal of Marquette reported Saturday that two cameras have been placed on the Lake Superior Community Partnership building along Front Street. The cameras cost $2,000.
The statue has been at its current site for about a century. It first was erected in Marquette in 1897.
Someone put red paint on the statue in November 2012. After several months of restoration, green paint was found on it last June.
Father Jacques Marquette was a Jesuit explorer. He served as a missionary in the region and was believed to have camped near modern day Marquette while mapping Lake Superior in 1669.
Information from: The Mining Journal, http://www.miningjournal.net
Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
ADDITIONAL IMAGE OF NOTE