But officials say it won’t derail the museum’s grand opening on August 14 and 15.
The museum has moved to a new facility on Capitol Square from State Street.
Fire officials responded to the fourth-floor staff kitchen at about 4:45 a.m. Tuesday. A museum press release says the fire was caused by a faulty coffee pot and damaged the kitchen cabinets and ceiling.
Ruth Shelly, the museum’s executive director, says fire department estimates are between $40,000 to $50,000, but insurance adjusters are investigating to determine a more specific estimate.
They also have to clean up the water from the sprinkler system.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.