The camera was made by Mawson & Swan Co. around 1880 and purchased by Homer in 1882 when he lived in northern England.
The camera was donated by Scarborough resident Neal Paulsen. Paulsen got it from his grandfather, an electrician who was given the camera in exchange for electrical work performed for Homer’s nephew. Homer’s initials are carved on the camera.
Museum co-director Frank Goodyear tells The Times Record that the camera shows “a lesser known side of one of America’s greatest painters.”
The museum has about 100 photographs in its Homer collection.
Homer produced some of his best-known works while living in a studio in Scarborough from 1883 until his death in 1910.
Information from: The Times Record, http://www.timesrecord.com
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
ADDITIONAL IMAGE OF NOTE