Beautiful Celtic Irish brooch. Measures 4 inches at widest. Marked 'West & Sons College Green Dublin' and underneath 'FKC' and a chalice symbol.The brooch is a gold plated silver, but a niello effect was professionally applied at some time, perhaps to make it a mourning piece. It has been tested for gold content several times (see jeweler's scratches on back)Finely made brooch which dates between 1841 and 1912, the period during which West was at the College Green location. The mark on this brooch, West & Son (singular) appears to date it 1886 to 1891. Some bio on West jewelry:The business dates to 1720, but the first documented of the family's association with silver trade is in 1748 when John West (born 1734) apprenticed to Bartholomew Mosse, Master Silversmith of Dublin. Brother Matthew West became Master of the Company of Goldsmiths in 1783/4 and one of the most renowned silversmiths of Dublin.Matthew West was active at Skinner's Row. In the 19th century the family continued the silversmiths and retailers business as Clarke & West (c. 1803, Capel Street), Matthew West, Matthew West & Sons (c.1825) and later as James West & Son (from 1841 in new premises at 18/19, College Green), becoming one of the foremost jewelers in Ireland.The British Royal Collection has two brooches made by West & Son. They were bought by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria on a visit to Dublin in 1849.West & Son participated to the 1851 Great Exhibition in London and to the Dublin Exhibition of 1853.Their replicas of antique Irish ornaments, characterized by sinuous, intricate patterning, played an important role in the revival of ancient Celtic designs and in the development of Arts and Crafts movement.In 1912 the firm transferred to new premises at 102/103 Grafton Street, Dublin (from 1965 at 33 Grafton Street).West & Son closed on 13 February 2010.