Joan Littlewood, Theatre Royal Stratford, E15. Plain postcard to Francis Bacon postmarked 31st May 1967 Stratford E15, inscribed on reverse "But Francis you need not watch the show come and drink in the bar JL'"; A second postmark on reverse dated 1st June 1967. 3.5" x 4.5"
Joan Littlewood 1914-2002 founded the Theatre Workshop Company and directed plays at Stratford until 1975 at which time she left the theatre and retired. She had been at the Theatre Royal since 1953 and was a friend of Muriel Belcher who was the proprietor of The Colony Room drinking club in Dean Street, Soho, frequented by Bacon. Later she was, coincidentally, involved with the first meeting between Bacon and John Edwards who became the beneficiary of the Bacon estate. Muriel Belcher had contacted Edwards at his pub in the East End and had told him to order in some champagne as she would be coming to see him with Joan Littlewood and Bacon. When they did not arrive a furious John Edwards went to The Colony Room and accused Bacon of leaving him with an unsaleable quantity of champagne as his normal clientele would not purchase it.
Provenance: The Robertson Collection