New Orleans Mahogany Regulator Wall Clock, c. 1860, dial marked "TELL TALE CLOCK PATENDED BY Slas. FOURNIER/NEW ORLEANS" pinwheel escapement, lyre pendulum, h. 65 in., w. 24 in., d. 22 in. Provenance: Williamson-LeBlanc Collection, Cornstalk Fence House, New Orleans. Note: Clockmaker Stanislaus Fournier came to New Orleans from France in 1841 or 1842. His pre-eminent shop at 60 Royal Street was a French Quarter landmark.
Fournier’s accomplishments include the three-faced church clock installed at St. Louis Cathedral in 1851, the development of a four-hand stopwatch for horse racing in 1855, and the invention of a “tell-tale” register clock in 1857.
Fournier died in 1853 and is buried in New Orleans’ St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, Vault 24.
Ref.: Kinabrew, J.M. “Stanislaus Fournier, New Orleans Clock and Watch Maker”, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Bulletin, April 1997, pp. 189-192.