Carl Flick (1904 - 1976) "Back Yard". Signed and dated (1935) lower right. Titled verso. Oil on Board. In response to a letter asking for advice on painting, in 1929, Grant Wood traveled to the Amana religious Colony near Cedar Rapids, Iowa to meet the author of the letter, a struggling young artist named Carl Flick. An account of this meeting was chronicled in a period Cedar Rapids Gazette news article in which was written, "A few months ago, Mr. Wood received a letter from Carl Flick of West Amana. He wished for information concerning proper brushes for painting foregrounds in landscapes. The well-known Iowa artist went down to answer the query personally. There he found, with no art training, no experience that had taken him beyond the peaceful valley where seven old fashion villages sleep, a colonist painting atrocious poster scenes with brushes dipped in genius. Grant pushed aside the vivid copies of gaudy sunsets and Venetian moonlights to show the young man the wealth of painting material that lay around him. ? the corner of the mill, his own backyard, the quaint blue doorways, the picturesque stone homes, and the millrace fringed with pickerel week and willows." The advice Wood gave to Carl Flick to paint what is in your midst was to become one of the rallying cries of regionalism and was of course the lesson Wood himself had learned after so many trips to Europe in his own search of art. In a letter written to an admirer in 1932, Flick wrote of his work, ?It was then he (Wood) opened my eyes to the beauties of my surroundings and showed me how to sketch. Through Mr. Wood?s influence, I learned to see objects around me in a different light.? Sight Size: 13 x 15 in. Overall Size: 19 x 21 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes from Helmuth Stone Services can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com