Large Antique WMF Gilded metal and Bohemian Cobalt Enameled Glass Compote. Measures 11"x11"x15 1/2"tall and has a very old repair. The glass was broken in half, was glued and then stapled using iron staples, a repair method used in the 19th century on better pieces. Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik was a tableware manufacturer, founded in 1853 in Geislingen an der Steige, Germany, by Daniel Straub and the brothers Schweizer. In English, the name translates to "Wuerttemberg Metalware Factory" (WMF). WMF was originally opened as a metal repairing workshop. By 1900, they were the world's largest producer and exporter of household metalware, mainly in the Jugendstil, or Art Nouveau style. They are best known for the period of Albert Mayer, sculptor and designer, who was director of the WMF Art Studio from 1884 to 1914. Provenance: From the Estate of Beauregard Crawford Moore.